The Counselor in Training (CIT) program at Camp Wanocksett prepares Scouts to become the future leaders of their home troops. CITs are essential to the well-being of the summer camp program and become the next generation of Wanocksett staff members. Over the course of the 2013 summer camp season, CITs will participate in a three week program.
During the first week of the CIT program, participants join the staff for staff week and entails setting up camp as well as participating in essential training alongside the staff. CITs then pick two weeks of their choosing to spend at Camp Wanocksett. During those two weeks, CITs will rotate between different program areas at camp each day. CITs will gain invaluable experience in customer service, effective teaching, and personal initiative, all while having the time of their lives!
Here are some excellent reasons to apply for the CIT Program:
- CITs have the opportunity to earn at least two merit badges a program week.
- Excellent training which CITs can bring back to their troops, preparing them for leadership roles.
- Meet and work with Scouts from all across Nashua Valley Council and New England.
- Most importantly: Fun! CITs will participate in many group events including movie nights, kayaking trips, hikes, nighttime fires, and staff events.
In order to apply, Scouts must meet the following conditions:
- Fill out an application.
- Be a first class scout.
- Receive a Scoutmaster recommendation (form attached to CIT application).
- Be at least 14 years of age by June 20.
For interested applicants, please take note of the following dates (at Lancaster Scout Service Center – 1980 Lunenburg Rd. Lancaster, MA):
- On March 18 at 6:00PM, an information night for interested CIT applicants will be taking place.
- Applications will be due by April 15, please mail them to the Council Service Center in Lancaster.
- Interviews will be held on April 29 from 5:30-8:00PM. Acceptance letters will be mailed after that date.
- An orientation for accepted CITs will take place on May 20th 7:00PM.